At their first regular meeting of 2019, trustees of the Monroe County Public Library will get updated on renovations at the Ellettsville branch, consider a request to transfer $900,000 to the library’s rainy day fund, and deal with several other operational issues. The session on Wednesday, Jan. 16 starts at 5:45 p.m. at the downtown library, 303 E. Kirkwood Ave.
If approved, the $900,000 transfer – from an unused balance in MCPL’s operating fund to its rainy day fund – would be designated “for a future project,” according to a memo in the meeting packet.
Other action items:
- Authorizing the disposition of several surplus items, including a 1999 Dodge Ram, a computer, tables, and three children’s chairs.
- Amending an agreement between MCPL and Activate Healthcare, which provides a health clinic and wellness program for library members.
- Authorizing a partnership agreement between MCPL and El Centro Comunal Latino Inc. (the Latino Community Center).
The board will also consider a slate of officers for 2019, with election of officers scheduled for the board’s Feb. 20 meeting.
Board of Finance
The MCPL board’s regular meeting will be immediately followed by its Board of Finance meeting. That agenda includes electing a president and secretary for the Board of Finance, and reviewing the MCPL investment report.
At the end of 2018, the total cash balance for all MCPL investments was $9,959,941. The money is held by the following banks and investment firms: Old National, German American Bank, First Financial Bank, Jackson County Bank, and Raymond James Financial. (Click here for the full meeting packet.)
Both the regular Board of Trustees meeting and the Board of Finance meeting include opportunities for public commentary and can be watched online on Community Access Television Services (CATS).
Trustees of the 7-member appointed Board of Trustees are:
- John Walsh, president
- Christine Harrison, vice president
- David Ferguson, treasurer
- Fred Risinger, secretary
- Kari Isaacson Esarey
- Katherine Loser
- Valerie Merriam
More information about the MCPL’s Board of Trustees – including its 2019 meeting schedule – is on the group’s website.